Economy

SA illegal mining crisis costing $100m annually

Date: Dec 6, 2024

South Africa’s (SA) illegal mining crisis has once again made headlines, with the recovery of nine bodies from two separate sites this week.

The incidents have highlighted the dangerous and exploitative conditions faced by illegal miners, known locally as "zama zamas," and underscored the significant economic and social toll of illegal mining activities.  

Six bodies were retrieved from a mine shaft at Stilfontein in the North West province, while three others were recovered from a shaft in Sabie, Mpumalanga.

Authorities believe the miners had been trapped underground for months. This tragedy comes despite intensified efforts by the government to combat illegal mining through initiatives like Operation Vala Umgodi, launched in December 2023.  
 
National Police Commissioner General Fannie Masemola, who visited both Stilfontein and Sabie, emphasised the gravity of the situation and reiterated the government’s commitment to addressing the crisis.  

“Since the inception of Operation Vala Umgodi, over 15 000 illegal miners have been arrested,” Masemola said.

“More needs to be done, and we will not stop. This operation aims to save the lives of communities and ultimately dismantle the networks of kingpins behind these illegal activities.”  

Masemola added that police rely on community cooperation to identify and disrupt illegal mining operations, which often involve syndicates operating outside the shafts. He noted a recent confrontation where three individuals linked to illegal mining were fatally wounded during a shootout with law enforcement.  

At Shaft 11 in Stilfontein, the situation remains dire. Media reports suggest some trapped miners are on the verge of death, with one letter purportedly written by the miners describing their harrowing circumstances.  

A representative of Mining-Affected Communities United in Action (MACUA), called the conditions at the site “devastating,” while expressing hope that recent high-profile visits would bring meaningful change.  

“It’s very painful to see what is happening here. We hope that the presence of senior officials like the National Police Commissioner will help address some of the critical issues on the ground,” said the rep.  

Illegal mining costs South Africa approximately $100 million annually in lost revenue, according to government estimates. Beyond the financial impact, the practice poses severe risks to miners, local communities, and the environment. The mines often abandoned and poorly secured, become hazardous sites where miners work in perilous conditions for little reward.  

Operation Vala Umgodi has made strides in disrupting illegal mining operations, yet challenges remain. Over 1,000 illegal miners have reportedly emerged in Stilfontein alone since the crackdown began.

Critics argue that while the operation addresses symptoms of the crisis, it does not tackle the root causes, such as unemployment, poverty, and the involvement of organised crime syndicates.  

As the recovery efforts continue, stakeholders are urging the government to maintain its focus on dismantling illegal mining networks and supporting affected communities.

The long-term solution, many argue, lies in addressing economic inequalities and providing alternative livelihoods for those drawn to illegal mining.  

--ChannelAfrica--

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

Actions
Loading...
Complementary Content
CLOSE

Your Name:*

Your Email:*

Your Message:*

Enter Captcha:*